08-08-2012 13:59 Belarus
Roscosmos eyeing shares of Belarus’ Peleng
The Federal Space Agency of Russia Roscosmos has expressed its intention to buy the government-owned shares in the Belarusian company Peleng, First Deputy Premier of Belarus Vladimir Semashko told reporters on 7 August as he visited the Belarusian company, BelTA has learnt.
“The offer was submitted by the Russian company; it is satisfied with cooperation with Peleng, which is the most advanced company in the segment in the entire post-Soviet space, the world-class producer of equipment for spacecrafts. The interest in our company made no surprise,” Vladimir Semashko said. He noted that the offer is being discussed on various levels. “We do not say “no”, we say “yes”,” Vladimir Semashko said. He added that the matter was recently raised at the Minsk meeting with Industry and Trade Minister of Russia Denis Manturov.
“If this integration, synergy happens, Roscosmos, Peleng and other companies and industries will benefit from it,” Vladimir Semashko said. He noted that a lot of stakeholders were involved in the development of the Belarusian satellite. Peleng was the core equipment producer for the spacecraft.
Director General of Peleng Vladimir Pokryshkin said that the state holds 48.9% of the company’s shares; the remaining 51.1% of shares belong to the labor collective. “We would like to integrate with Roscosmos and are considering the sale of the state share,” Vladimir Pokryshkin said.
Peleng is Belarus’ leading R&D company. It was established in 1974 by reorganization of the designing section of the Vavilov Minsk Mechanical Plant (BelOMO) into the Central Designing Bureau Peleng. In 1994 the Designing Bureau was transformed into OAO Peleng. In 2003 the company was included in the roster of high-tech industries and enterprises of the Republic of Belarus. The core business of the company is development and production of high-technology optomechanic and optoelectronic equipment.